College of Fine Arts and Communication
Department of Theatre and Dance
Position: Lecturer & Sound Design
Job Posting #: 2014-38
Review Date: October 15, 2013 - Open until filled
Appointment Date: Spring 2014 or Fall 2014
The successful candidate will typically teach two courses per year, one in sound design and one in sound technology. The majority of the workload will consist of providing sound design and sound technology support for all theatre and dance productions; this will involve being the faculty designer and/or supervising student designers and technicians on departmental productions. The sound designer will be a core faculty member in the design/technology area on a curricular basis and a core member of the faculty in the production area.
1) Bachelorâs degree in theatre, music, or field related to sound design.
2) Minimum 3 years of experience as sound designer and audio engineer for the performing arts.
3) Excellent computer skills and experience with modern, industry-standard audio equipment and design software.
4) Strong communication and problem solving skills.
1) M.F.A. in sound design.
2) Professional experience as sound designer or audio engineer for the performing arts.
3) Experience teaching sound design and/or sound technology at the university level.
4) Experience supervising student crews for performing arts events.
Applicants should send resume, cover letter, sample of audio files representing recent design work (or link to web page), and 3 letters of reference to:
Shane Smith, Search Committee Chair
Department of Theatre & Dance
Texas State University-San Marcos
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666